Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 10, 2011

I get in more trouble that way




Mother-in-law's house back in the day when it looked nice. My hubby, her oldest son, had a lot to do with it looking spiffy but he got weary of cleaning up after his youngest brother trashed the place.


It's come to my attention that I should be seen and not heard.

Oh, wait. That's for kids. Sorry.

But, I've explained, I think like a kid. I like cartoons, especially Looney Tunes. Ditto carnivals (rides and money-sucking games), playground equipment (slides, teeter-totters, etc.), and catching lightning bugs.

Thing is, kids also shoot off their mouths and I have a habit of doing that, whether verbally or in print, doesn't matter - I still get scolded.

Enough already. We live in America, right? And I'm expressing my own feelings, opinions and such, and I'm tired to death of being told to keep those things inside.

I notice things. I noticed when my mother-in-law began repeating herself and my heart sank. First thing I thought of was how much stress she's under, yet she puts on a brave front so as not to make her children feel bad as they "borrow" money from her. Our relationship, after nearly 39 years, has been broken. I don't see it surviving the latest dust-up, but I'm OK with that.

I noticed her house, the one her husband built and paid for with honest hard work has gone downhill. It's in disrepair, despite the false insurance claim to repair the roof. She now will get help from a government agency to do that, so we get to pay for her roof twice.

Her lawn is in a constant state of flux. It gets smaller and smaller as her youngest mows less and less and trims - well, never.

My memoir and letters I've written to many of my in-laws tells the rest of the story. For now, I'll just wait things out. See how they go. And, yeah, I'll probably tell you exactly how I feel - and yes, I'll say it out loud.

No comments: